The Scrapstore PlayPod is a holistic process that supports the adults in a school in various different ways from consultancy through to training and mentoring to adopt a whole school approach. The process involves:
Consultancy & Support
- Awareness raising sessions for teaching staff, parents and children.
- Regular information sharing and support meetings with a lead person throughout the process.
- Guidance and support with relevant policies and procedures around play and developing a risk benefit approach.
- A play audit detailing initial impact and recommendations for the future.
- Delivery of a level 2 playwork training course for lunchtime supervisors and people who work with children and young people. The training is based on and mapped to the National Occupational Standards for Playwork.
- Play mentor support during lunchtimes, over a five to six week period after opening which supports the lunchtime staff to implement the Scrapstore PlayPod into the school lunchtime procedure, consolidating learning and embedding good reflective practice.
- A follow up review visit within six months and report.
Materials & Resources
- Provision of, or support with establishing a suitable structure for scrap.
- Initial stock of loose parts appropriate to the number of children in the setting.
- Five top up deliveries within the first year with seasonal scrap rotation. Contract to be renewed on an annual basis.
“I was completely blown away by every element in the process of having a Scrapstore PlayPod. It’s like having guardian to support you – so thorough and well thought through.” KS1 Leader